Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Puffins, Albatross, Whales, Dolphins

N 51 01.048, W 129 55.131
79 miles from Keeweenah Bay,
200 miles to Tofino
winds 0-16 knots
seas 1-2 meters

We left Keeweenah Bay and Haida Gwaii around 8:40 am this morning to begin our passage to Tofino on Vancouver Island. As we rounded the point we saw some Tufted Puffins in the water. Unfortunately they are very camera shy so no photographs.

As we sail along, I was starting to count the number of albatrosses I saw. After a while I started to wonder if there were really that many. At one point I saw 15 floating together, must have been some sort of coffee klatch or something. I think that this group of 15 has been following us this whole time and that I was just counting the same ones over and over.

We have also seen blow and fluke of a whale in the distant and a humpback about 4 boat lengths away. Later some dolphins came and played in our bow wave.

So while we have not seen a single boat, other than the 3 AIS targets, we have not been alone.

Passage is going well so far. Hope it continues.

No worries
SV Windarra

No comments:

Post a Comment