Thursday, April 26, 2012

A quick visit and shopping trip


The first night in Tacoma, I had stayed at the guest house at Franke Tobey Jones but I did not feel comfortable staying there as it had many doors opening to storage areas and I was convinced (an irrational fear), that something was going to come out of one of the doors while I slept. I am not sure if I slept any better after I positioned something such as chairs, luggage, furniture in front of each door, just in case.

Our friends, Dan and Madeline Sego, had been graciously letting us stay at their house and were a great support to me.

My mother passed away on Sunday, April 15th, and Rich had already purchased a ticket to fly up on Monday. He was staying on the boat, monitoring the engine installation.

When my father passed away in 2009 we planned ahead and made all of the burial arrangements for my mother in the event we were out of touch and that the kids had to take care of it. So it did not take me long to get everything arranged. While waiting for Rich to arrive I started making the calls notifying Social Security, the banks, etc of her passing and collecting the necessary paperwork.

The graveside service was on Wednesday and the cantor of Temple Beth El, Leah Holland, performed a wonderful service. She also sang the first verse of "You Are My Sunshine", my mother's favorite song. Jesse, Rae, and Sarah came up on the train to join us. We thank our friends and family who were able to join us and the very kind and special words we received from all. We had a chance to visit with friends and family after the service at the reception.

The rest of the time we spent trying to settle my mother's affairs, buying stuff for the boat, including two inflatable kayaks with paddles, and visiting friends.

We are sorry we could not visit with everyone but we were anxious to return to Windarra and getting the engine installation completed. Wednesday, April 25th we were on a plane back to Mexico, La Cruz and Windarra.

No comments:

Post a Comment