Friday, January 20, 2017

First week in Trinidad

Well, I am learning the ropes here at Power Boats, the marina and boatyard where we have Windarra. Like any new place, you learn where to get the basics plus what makes the place special. Our friends, Ned and Carol of SV Frannie B are here and they have helped me a lot. Besides figuring where the office is, the showers, the laundry, the bank and the grocery store, they have introduced me to the 'roti stand'. It is like the foot trucks in other countries but without the trucks. The Indian food is great and spicy. Below is the meal I got for TT$52 or $7.72 USD.


This past week I have stayed in an apartment for 4 nights and on the boat for the remaining time. Today I moved back into an apartment and managed to beat the rain. This is my view out the apartment window this afternoon during the rain shower. I am starting to move the things I want to ship back to Seattle into the apartment so I can pack it for shipment. On the boat I am separating items into 3 categories: ship to Seattle, leave on the boat, sell or give away. Many of the items I have taken to the laundry room to give away disappear very quickly. In addition to sorting and packing, I am working with suppliers to have work done on the boat. I have not tuned my ear to the Trinidadian patois, but I hope to get there sometime. At least they are patient with me when I ask them to slow down when they speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment